Open to girls entering grades 6 to 10 at any school. The clinic is based in the Diane and Ray Carey ’67 Field House at the Prep’s Mahoney Wellness Center. The field house includes two baskets on the main basketball court—Connaughton Court (named for the NBA’s Pat Connaughton ’11)—and eight other baskets on the four auxiliary courts, plus game balls.
The clinic is designed to develop basketball fundamentals in a competitive and fun environment. Players of all ability levels will be challenged in a variety of traditional and progressive drills that aim to develop the individual players skills and understanding of the game. The staff, made up of the most well-respected local high school and college coaches, incorporate drills they use during their own practices to help prepare players for the next level.
Entering 6th – 10th Grade:
- This upper level programming caters toward athletes who are looking to sharpen their individual skills and knowledge of the game in preparation for their middle school, AAU, or high school basketball seasons. Athletes are pushed further through traditional and progressive drills that aim to develop each players individual and positional skills. Athletes will be trained and instructed by some of the most-respected high school and college coaches in the area.
Coach Karen Grutchfield, Girls Basketball
- Division 1 basketball player at Holy Cross
- 15 years of head coaching experience
- Current girl’s basketball head coach at Newburyport High School
- Wakefield High School Div 2 State Champs, 1997
- WHS, Two Division 2 North titles
- Six Middlesex League Championships
- Boston Globe Coach of the Year, 1997
- Wakefield High School Hall of Fame
- Burlington High School Hall of Fame
At a Glance
Karen Grutchfield, Newburyport High School varsity head coach
Diane and Ray Carey ‘67 Field House - Mahoney Wellness Center
2020 Program Dates