Four-day lacrosse clinic with lead instructor John Pynchon '01, St. John's Prep varsity head coach
Open to boys at any school, entering grades 4 to 9. The clinic is held on the Brother Linus, C.F.X. Athletic Commons, which is the practice field for the St. John’s Prep varsity team, and also the location for the underclassmen home games. The turf field is equipped with multiple lacrosse goals and game balls.
The clinic is designed to develop lacrosse fundamentals in a competitive and fun environment. Players of all ability levels will be challenged in a variety of traditional and progressive drills that aim to develop the individual players skills and understanding of the game. The staff, made up of the most well-respected local high school and college coaches, incorporate drills which they use at their own practices to help prepare players for the next level.
The morning practice session will focus on individual and position specific drills such as ground balls, passing, dodging, and shooting. The afternoon practice session will incorporate the skills from the morning in fun and competitive small sided and full field drills. Each day will end with game scenarios and play that will allow the athlete to demonstrate the skills that we have been developing.
What to bring
- Water bottle
- Notebook, pen/pencil
- Bathing suit
- Elbow pads
- Shoulder pads
- Practice jersey
St. John's Head Coach John Pynchon '01
- Coach Pynchon has been coaching lacrosse at the high school and college levels for the past 12 years.
- Pynchon, a 2001 graduate of St. John's, enjoyed a successful four-year career as a defenseman for Providence College.
- He began his coaching career in 2006 while serving as an assistant coach with the Friars for two years.
- During his time at Providence, the Friars won three conference championships, two regular season championships and participated in the NCAA Tournament in 2004, 2006 and 2007.
- Upon returning to the North Shore, Pynchon coached the Beverly High School lacrosse team for nine years. Under Pynchon's guidance, the Panthers won seven straight conference championships (2010–2016) and two sectional championships (2014, 2015). In 2017, coach Pynchon returned to his alma mater as the St. John's Prep head lacrosse coach.
- Pynchon currently serves on the Eastern Mass. Lacrosse Association board and coaches at numerous lacrosse camps through Massachusetts.
- He is a social studies faculty member at St. John's and enjoys spending his free time reading.